Last year the smoke bush failed to flower so no smoke. This year however it’s making up for this. After our first rain in quite a few weeks the smoke bush is looking lovely, lots of rain drops clinging precariously. Would have been nice to have a little sunshine to make them glisten.

I’m not complaining though,we really do need more rain.

#rain #cotinus coggygria #dark foliage


1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Mrs Oakley Fisher

A lovely unexpected combination.

This is one of my favourite roses. I do have a question though. Does anyone know who Mrs Oakley Fisher was? Internet not very helpful.


Filed under roses

White or nearly

I’ve always loved white flowers, they simply glow in the evening light. I have in the past attempted to create a totally white area but I think I need space to make it work. Trees and large shrubs cast too much shade. So having pops of white here and there actually lift my borders rather than trying anything grander. Take this dahlia Cameo for instance, it’s growing at the side of the shed and in the evening it simply glows.
Another nearly white is Agapanthus Windsor Grey. Very difficult to place as it demands individual attention. Placed in front of a fence covered in Akebia which has long since finished flowering it looks quite grand.

Now something that’s quite common and usually dismissed Anemone ‘Honorine Jobert’. I really like this plant and I can forgive it it’s rambling habit. Grown in a shady corner with a backing of Hedera Buttercup, this shows off the dark anemone leaves a treat.

So I’ve all but given up on having a white garden, life’s too short when you have a plant addiction and space is limited.


Filed under White flowers

I’m back

Well it’s been a long time but I’ve managed to get my blog on my phone. This will be easier as I don’t download any pictures to my computer now. So here goes.

Yesterday we had a lovely trip to Calke Abbey, our first proper trip for months. The weather was great and the walled garden was stunning as usual. We ventured out on a good long walk around grounds and through the woods. After a trying couple of years this was just what we needed. I’m really looking forward to starting up my blog again and taking you around my garden again..thanks for joining me. Until the next time. Sue


Filed under Uncategorized


One day I may get to do a post about my actual gardening exploits, as it seems this summer has been taken over by some amazing projects.

So here I go again…

Last year we went to a garden open where the owners had a huge pond/small lake and beside it was a gorgeous wire heron. Well that was a ‘Red rag to a bull’. I decided there and then that I would, at some point, make another wire sculpture. After much thought and rummaging on the allotment I managed to find enough pieces of chicken wire and two long metal rods for the legs, I think they may be the things that go into concrete to strengthen it.

As I’d now made four different birds previously, I sort of knew how I would start. The hardest part was making sure I could somehow attach the legs without them pushing right though the body. With a bit of trial and error and secretly swearing to myself I managed it. Then for a couple of months I did lose a bit of momentum and it lay looking a bit like nothing would become of it, until a couple of weeks ago while clearing around the dustbins and garden storage where I’d left it, it suddenly clicked. I knew what I was doing next. Mr Malc  got me the workbench out on the yard and I was able to support it better. More and more layers went on until I was happy with the result. Another couple of weeks have gone by with the finished heron laying in the shed as every time we wanted to install it, it was windy. At long last the heron is now happily poised over the top pond and I am quietly pleased with the result.

So maybe the next post I do will involve plants …..till next time Sue.


Filed under Chicken Wire Heron